On June 1, 2023, the RCMP Southern Alberta District Crime Reduction Unit (SAD CRU) executed a Controlled Drugs and Substances Act search warrant at a home in Fort Macleod. The search warrant and investigation were completed in partnership with the Fort Macleod RCMP, RCMP Police Dog Services and the Blood Tribe Police Service Drug Task Force (BTPS).
Carl Zehanoviz (39), a resident of Fort Macleod, has been charged with the following:
• Possession of fentanyl for the purpose of trafficking
• Possession of methamphetamine for the purpose of trafficking
• Possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking
• Possession of psilocybin for the purpose of trafficking
• Possession of 4-hydroxybutanic acid (GHB) for the purpose of trafficking
• Unauthorized possession of a prohibited weapon (x3)
RCMP SAD CRU seized the following items during the execution of the search warrant:
• 5 ounces of suspected methamphetamine
• 3 ounces of suspected cocaine
• 1 ounce of suspected fentanyl
• 8 ounces of suspected psilocybin
• 150ml of GHB
• Prohibited weapons including tasers (6), brass knuckles (2) and CS gas.
Carl Zehanoviz was held for a Judicial Interim Release Hearing and subsequently released on a Release Order with conditions. Carl Zehanoviz is scheduled to appear in Alberta Court of Justice in Fort Macleod on June 21, 2023.
In April and May 2023, there have been a large amount of opioid related deaths in Southern Alberta. In response to this, RCMP SAD CRU and the BTPS Drug Task Force, teamed up to target fentanyl traffickers in Southern Alberta. In the last three weeks, SAD CRU and BTPS have arrested and charged three alleged fentanyl traffickers. RCMP SAD CRU and BTPS will continue its efforts in targeting fentanyl traffickers in Southern Alberta.
Anyone with further information related to this matter can contact the Fort Macleod RCMP at 403-553-4406. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at http://www.p3tips.com to anonymously report drug, gang, and criminal activity in your community. Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.