Please find attached the Cattle Market Update based on the week ending October 13, 2023. Some highlights from the report include:
• Canfax reported 21,941 head of Saskatchewan feeder cattle sold at auction over the week – 1,733 less than last week.
• Feeder steer prices ranged from $512.64 per cwt for the 300-400lb category down to $305.50 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category this week.
• Weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers ranged from $413.75 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category down to $287.00 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
• The AB and SK Cattle on Feed report for October 1 was 921,390 head. Placements in September were two percent above last year and this is the fourth largest October 1 inventory since reporting started.
• The price for Alberta fed steers averaged $233.70 per cwt for the week ending October 13, which is $0.40 per cwt above the previous week.
• Prices of Alberta cows reported on October 13 were up compared to October 6. D2 cows increased on average $1.82 per cwt from the previous week to average $132.43 per cwt. D3 slaughter cows were up $3.11 per cwt over the prior week, ending the week at an average price of $121.33 per cwt.