Please find attached the Cattle Market Update based on the week ending August 26, 2022. Some highlights include:
• Canfax reported a total of 3,692 head of cattle sold in Saskatchewan last week, down from 4,794 head the previous week. There were 6,944 head marketed during the same week last year.
• Feeder steer prices were mainly higher across the middle weight categories when compared to prices reported the previous week. Prices ranged from $292.17 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $217.00 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category this week.
• Average weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers were higher across the limited weight categories reported when compared to the previous week. Prices ranged from $213.17 per cwt for the 500-600lb weight category to $205.33 cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
• The August and October live cattle futures contracts settled Friday at US$140.800 per cwt. and 143.050 per cwt. respectively, both down from the previous week.
• Choice beef cutout prices (600-900lb.) for the week averaged US$263.29 per cwt, down US$1.29 per cwt or 0.5 per cent from US$264.58 per cwt the week of August 20. Beef cutout prices are considerably lower (24.1 per cent) from the same week a year ago when they averaged US$347.02 per cwt.