Please note that the weekly Cattle Market Report provided by the Ministry of Agriculture will take a summer break indefinitely after this weeks report. The report will return as per usual dependent on Saskatchewan cattle marketing activity, likely sometime in August.
Please find attached the Cattle Market Update based on the week ending June 17. Some highlights include:
• Canfax reported a total of 3,007 head of cattle sold in Saskatchewan last week, down from 5,207 head the previous week. There were 4,221 head marketed during the same week in 2021.
• Saskatchewan average weekly feeder steer prices were not reported for the week ending June 17.
• Average weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers were reported in just two categories last week. There was a drop in the 600-700lb. weight category, which declined $0.84 per cwt. to average $189.33 per cwt.
• The June and August live cattle futures contracts settled Friday at US$138.025 per cwt. and 136.575 per cwt. respectively, both above the previous week.
• Choice beef cutout prices (600-900lb.) for the week averaged US$268.32 per cwt, down US$2.71 per cwt or 1.0 per cent from US$271.03 per cwt the week of June 11, and a price decline of 18.6 per cent compared to US$329.72 per cwt from the same week a year ago.