On March 17 at 5:43 p.m., Swift Current Municipal RCMP responded to a report of an assault with a weapon in an apartment building on the 500 block of Robert Street East in Swift Current, Sask.
Police officers immediately attended. The police response involved the discharge of a firearm and a 23-year-old male from Swift Current received what were reported to be non-life threatening injuries. RCMP officers provided first aid assistance to the male before Swift Current EMS and Fire Services arrived and the male was transported to hospital.
As a result of continued investigation by Swift Current Municipal RCMP and in conjunction with Saskatchewan Crown Prosecution, the injured male noted above from Swift Current, is charged with:
• 2 counts, Assault With a Weapon, section 267(a) of the Criminal Code
• 1 count, Assault Police Officer, section 270(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
• 1 count, Uttering Threats, section 264.1(1) of the Criminal Code
• 1 count, Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose, section 88(1) of the Criminal Code
• 3 counts, Fail to Comply with a Release Order, section 145(5)(a) of the Criminal Code
• 3 counts, Fail to Comply with a Probation Order, section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code
Information # 90463462
He will appear in Swift Current Provincial Court on Monday March 21 at 1:30 pm.
Please note the independent, external investigation into the circumstances surrounding the police officer-involved shooting is ongoing and conducted by the Saskatoon Police Service and no further information can be provided at this time.