On Feb. 9, 2023, at 5:56 p.m., Alberta RCMP Traffic Services was conducting traffic enforcement on Highway 2 when it observed a vehicle travelling east bound at 178 km’s per hour in a posted 100 km zone. A traffic stop was initiated on a 2003 Black Volkswagen Golf with BC plates and the lone occupant was arrested for Dangerous Driving. Fort Macleod RCMP attended and assisted the investigation. Police located a sawed-off shotgun, ammunition and break and enter tools.
As a result of the investigation, Jacob Douglas Mayne (22), a resident of Sparwood, B.C., has been charged with:
• Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
• Flight from Police
• Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
• Possession of Firearm Knowing Possession is Unauthorized
• Possession of Firearm/Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle
• Unsafe Storage of a Firearm
• Possession of a Restricted/Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition with a licence
• Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose x3
• Possession of Break-in Instruments x2
• Drive While Uninsured
• Operate Motor Vehicle Without Registration
• Operate Motor Vehicle Without a Licence
• Operate Motor Vehicle Contrary to Conditions
Mayne was held for a judicial interim hearing and has since been released with a court date of Mar. 8, 2023, in Fort McLeod.