On May 5th, Claresholm and Nanton RCMP members, with the assistance of the RCMP Police Dog Services, High River Traffic Services Unit, and the Southern Alberta RCMP Crime Reduction Unit, initiated a Crime Reduction initiative called Operation Street Sweep. The initiative included a concerted effort to locate wanted persons on warrants, conduct conditions compliance checks on prolific offenders, and suppress crime and aggressive drivers.
As a result of the operation:
· A 42 year old female from Claresholm was arrested on 14 outstanding warrants of arrest; she was remanded into custody by a Justice of the Peace.
· A 40 year old male from Nanton was arrested on 26 outstanding warrants of arrest; he was remanded into custody by a Justice of the Peace.
· A 48 year old female from Nanton was arrested on 1 outstanding warrant of arrest and awaits a Bail Hearing.
· A 47 year old male from Claresholm was arrested on 1 outstanding warrant of arrest and was released to appear in Provincial court.
During the operation, Police also received reports of a known prolific offender operating a motor vehicle contrary to Release Conditions. RCMP members attempted to stop the vehicle which fled from police but soon became stuck in a rural area North West of Claresholm. The driver fled into a wooded area on foot. RCMP Police Service Dog “Monty” was deployed and after a 4 hour search of the rural area located the suspect. A 59 year old male from Claresholm was arrested and charged with the following charges:
1. Flight from Police contrary to Section 320.17 CC.
2. Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle contrary 320.13(1) CC.
3. Fail to Comply with a Release Order x 3 contrary to 145(5)(a) CC.
4. Drive uninsured motor vehicle on a highway contrary to 54(1)(a) TSA.
5. Drive a motor vehicle with no licence contrary to 94(2) TSA.
6. Drive a motor vehicle with improper use of Licence Plate contrary to 53(1)(b) TSA.
7. Drive a motor vehicle with no registration contrary to 52(1)(a) TSA.
The accused currently awaits a bail hearing.
In addition to arrests, RCMP officers conducted several “Conditions Compliance Checks” resulting in no charges. RCMP also issued 8 Traffic Violation Notices including one for speeding at 172 km/hr and another for speeding at 180 km/hr, both on highway 2.
RCMP state that crime prevention and police operations continue to be a priority and encourage the public to report all suspicious and criminal activities. If you have any information regarding criminal activity, please contact the Nanton RCMP at 403.646.5722, Claresholm RCMP at 403.625.4445, or your local police service. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at http://www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.