The Cattle Market Update based on the week ending September 15. Some highlights from the report include:
• Canfax reported 11,292 head of Saskatchewan feeder cattle sold over the week.
• Average feeder steer prices ranged from $486.81 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category down to $311.38 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category this week. A price decline was observed in the 400-500lb and 900+lb weight classes.
• Weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers ranged from $437.83 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $298.88 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category. Prices increased across all weight classes, with the greatest change being +$56.33 per cwt for 300-400lb feeder heifers.
• The CME feeder and live cattle futures for October 2023 closed Friday ahead of the week prior at $264.475 per cwt and $186.925 per cwt, respectively (US$).
• The price for Alberta fed steers averaged $233.19 per cwt for the week ending September 15. A year ago, the fed cattle price for Alberta fed steers averaged $180.79 per cwt for the same week.
• Prices of Alberta cows reported on September 15 were down compared to September 8. D2 slaughter cows decreased on average $4.89 per cwt from the week prior to average $138.61 per cwt. The price of D3 slaughter cows was down $1.31 per cwt over the prior week, ending the week at an average of $127.86 per cwt.