By Fonda Froats PAg, Government of Sask.
Please find attached the Saskatchewan Cattle Market Update based on reporting from the week ending April 14, 2023. Some highlights include:
· Canfax reported 8,426 head of Saskatchewan feeder cattle sold over the week which is just down from 9,165 head marketed the previous week.
· Saskatchewan feeder steer prices were higher in weight categories above 600lb on April 14. Prices ranged from $340.38 per cwt for the 400-500lb category to $241.17 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category.
· Weekly prices for Saskatchewan heifers reported on April 14 were primarily higher compared to the prior week amongst the weight categories reported. Prices ranged from $304.25 per cwt for the 400-500lb weight category to $242.25 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
· Alberta cow prices were mixed compared to the April 6 reporting. The price of D2 slaughter cows increased on average $0.76 per cwt from the week prior to average $130.42 per cwt. The price of D3 slaughter cows was down $0.56 per cwt to average $115.92 per cwt.
· The Canfax price for Alberta fed steers reported on April 14 was $223.57 per cwt. This was up $5.98 per cwt compared to the last reporting of $217.59 per cwt on April 6.
· The Alberta and Saskatchewan Cattle on Feed report for April showed a decline of 21,000 head since March. On April 1, 2023 there were 1,013,951 head on feed compared to 1,108,566 in 2022.
Have a great day!