By Fonda Froats PAg
Government of Saskatchewan
Please find attached the Saskatchewan Cattle Market Update based on reporting from the week ending March 31, 2023. Some highlights include:
· Canfax reported 12,764 head of Saskatchewan feeder cattle sold over the week, which is above the 10,260 head marketed the previous week.
· Saskatchewan feeder steer prices were mixed amongst the weight categories reported on March 31. Prices ranged from $346.00 per cwt for the 400-500lb category to $238.10 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category.
· The average weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers reported on March 31 were primarily higher compared to the prior week amongst the weight categories reported. Prices ranged from $321.67 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $227.63 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
· Alberta cow prices were mixed compared to the March 24 reporting. The price of D2 slaughter cows decreased on average $1.86 per cwt from the week prior to average $132.50 per cwt. The price of D3 slaughter cows was up $5.33 per cwt to average $119.13 per cwt.
· The Canfax price for Alberta fed steers reported on March 31 was $213.73 per cwt. This was up $3.31 per cwt compared to the last reporting of $210.42 per cwt on March 24.
· The March feeder cattle futures were up US$3.690 per cwt last week to settle Friday at US$193.340 per cwt. The April 2023 contract was up US$6.025 per cwt, week-over-week, to settle Friday at US$200.825 per cwt.
Fonda Froats PAg, Government of Saskatchewan, Provincial Cattle Specialist Livestock, Ministry of Agriculture