Please find attached the Saskatchewan Cattle Market Update based on reporting from the week ending March 3. Some highlights include:
· Canfax reported Saskatchewan feeder cattle volumes at 12,200 head sold over the week, up from the 7,779 head the previous week.
· Prices for Saskatchewan feeder steers and heifers were primarily higher last week, compared to the previous week.
o Prices for Saskatchewan steers ranged from $352.40 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $236.00 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category.
o Saskatchewan feeder heifer prices ranged from $288.30 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $220.10 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
· Alberta cow prices were up compared to the February 24 reporting. The price of D2 slaughter cows increased $6.20 per cwt over the week prior to average $113.50 per cwt. The price of D3 slaughter cows were up $6.00 per cwt to average $100.50 per cwt.
· The Canfax price for Alberta fed steers reported on March 3 was $201.85 per cwt. This was up $3.54 per cwt compared to the last reporting of $198.31 per cwt on February 24.
· The USDA cattle on feed report for February 1 said there were 11,704,000 cattle on feed which is 96 percent of a year ago.
· The January 1, 2023 estimate from Statistics Canada stated that Saskatchewan had 2.2 million cattle and calves, down 0.9 percent from January 2022.