Please find attached the Cattle Market Update based on the week ending September 2. Some highlights include:
• Canfax reported a total of 4,765 head of cattle sold in Saskatchewan last week, up from 3,692 head the previous week.
• Feeder steer prices were higher across all but the 500-600lb weight category when compared to prices reported the previous week. Prices ranged from $302.00 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $218.17 per cwt for the 900+lb weight category this week.
• Average weekly prices for Saskatchewan’s feeder heifers were reported and higher across all the reported weight categories when compared to the previous week. Prices ranged from $246.50 per cwt for the 300-400lb weight category to $215.83 per cwt for the 800+lb weight category.
• Live cattle future contract prices were also up last week over the previous week. The October and December live cattle futures contracts settled Friday at US$144.550 per cwt and 150.250 per cwt respectively.
• Choice beef cutout prices (600-900lb.) for the week averaged US$259.73 per cwt, down US$3.56 per cwt or 1.4 per cent from US$263.29 per cwt the week of August 27.