Teams attending: Swift Current, Elrose, Eston, Fox Valley, Frontier, Gravelbourg, Kincaid, Leader, Maple Creek, Ponteix, Rosetown and Val Marie.
The tournament begins at 9:30 a.m. and will end around 5 p.m. The tournament will be a round robin format with two pools in each category. Top two teams in each pool will advance to the playoffs. Gold and silver medals will be awarded in each category.
The SCCHS badminton team attended tournaments in Rosetown and Gravelbourg March 25. They came home with one gold, and two silver medals.
• Boys’ singles — Ethan Warkentin (Grade 12) finished first in his pool with a 3-0 record. In the semi-final he played the second-place finisher from Pool B. Warkentin won against Rosetown 1, 21-11 and 21-11. In the final, Warkentin played a very evenly matched game against North Battleford. Warkentin lost in three, 21-18, 18-21 and 21-23. He was awarded the silver medal in boys’ singles.
• Girls’ singles — Nicole Steinley (Grade 9) finished with a 1-2 record. She defeated Wilkie in the round robin to finish third in her pool. Unfortunately, this did not advance her to the playoffs.
• Boys’ doubles — Wyatt Wiebe (Grade 12) and Mason Smeby (Grade 11) finished second in their pool with a record of 2-1. In the semi-final they defeated the first-place finishers from Pool A. Wiebe and Smeby won against Rosetown 1, 21-14 and 21-18. In the final they played a close game against Wilkie. They lost in three, 19-21, 21-18 and 15-21. They were awarded the silver medal.
• Mixed doubles — The Grade 10 team of Monica Torales and Grady Rogers finished second in their pool with a 2-1 record. In the semi-final they played a close game against Rosetown and lost 19-21, 22-20 and 17-21. In the bronze medal match they lost to North Battleford 15-21 and 15-21. They finished fourth in the tournament.
Gravelbourg — March 25
• Boys singles’ — Sim Singh (Grade 12) finished first in his pool with a 5-0 record. In the semi-final he faced off against Coronach and won 21-7 and 21-4. In the final he defeated Assiniboia to win gold in boys’ singles.
• Girls’ singles — Samantha Froude (Grade 10) finished with 0-3 record in her pool. She had a close game against Assiniboia losing 21-23, 21-14 and 13-21.
• Boys’ doubles — The Grade 9 team of Reuben Lantican and Layne Cadrain finished with a 2-3 record in their pool. They defeated Ecole Gravelbourg and Lafleche to finish in the three-way tie for third in their pool.
• Girls’ doubles — The Grade 10 team of Lara New and Justine Bennett finished with a 1-2 record in their pool. They defeated Ecole Mathieu to finish third in their pool.
• Mixed doubles — Harshini Arumugam (Grade 11) and Matthew Epp (Grade 9) finished their pool with a 1-2 record. They defeated Ecole Mathieu to finish third.
Unfortunately, Froude, Lantican/Cadrain, New/ Bennett and Arumugam/Epp did not advance to the playoffs in the Gravelbourg tournament.