Friday, 11 August 2017 06:08

Good progress with Trans-Canada highway lighting project

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

There has been good progress with the project to install overhead lighting along the Trans-Canada Highway corridor through Swift Current and it will be completed within the next few weeks.


Mitch Minken, the City of Swift Current’s general manager of infrastructure and operations, provided an update on the project at a regular council meeting, July 31.
“We started a couple of months ago, took a little break to catch up on some other work as we’ve been having a very busy year this year,” he said. “So we’ve started now in earnest. It’s top priority now. The first stretch of lights is actually up and functioning.”
The lights along the westbound lane of the Trans-Canada Highway at the Highway 4 intersection were completed at the end of July and the work is continuing along that side of the highway.
“We’ll be continuing westward until we get to the project end, which is 11th Ave NW and then turning around and working our way back towards the east end and hopefully completing somewhere around the end of August,” he said.
A total of 188 lights will be installed on the outside edge of the driving lanes of the Trans-Canada Highway through Swift Current.
“So all the off- and on-ramps are lit, as well as the whole section of the highway through town,” he said. “Then the last portion of it is actually the intersection at the Esso station at the west end of town, the truck town intersection.”
The project is a joint undertaking by the City of Swift Current and the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure to increase safety for road users and pedestrians. The cost of the project is about $1.2 million, of which around $600,000 will be used for materials and the remaining $400,000 will pay for labour and contract work. The provincial government is responsible for about 65 per cent of the project and the City for the remaining 35 per cent.
“They provided the engineering design and all the materials for the lights, and we provided all the labour to install and maintain them into the future,” Minken said.
Business donates land to City for recreational use:
Council approved the subdivision of a parcel of land along South Service Road East for use as part of the Chinook Parkway path system. The piece of land was donated to the City by Team Regier Properties Ltd.
This strip of land is situated between the Regier Honda dealership and the Swift Current Creek. The land covers an area of about 0.5 acres and it will be designated as municipal reserve land. It will be used to accommodate the future extension of the Chinook Parkway and for the construction of a recreational trail area.

Read 339 times
Matthew Liebenberg

Reporter/Photographer

More Swift Current News...