This year’s Pride Week events celebrate the diversity of Swift Current and its residents, and promote the inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) people in the community.
“We are thrilled to have partnered with so many community groups, corporate sponsors and governmental leaders who have really stepped up to help us put on these incredible events,” says Conor Baker, Southwest Pride board member.
“When I moved to Swift Current six years ago, I was told to stay in the closest as Swift Current was not an inclusive community. In my experience, Swift Current has welcomed my husband and I, and I believe with increased visibility of the LGBT community in Swift Current, attitudes and perception are changing towards acceptance and inclusion. I think this has been a dream of many to have a week-long Pride festival in Swift Current as they have in Regina, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw and that day has finally arrived.”
Schedule of events:
• May 29 (12:15 p.m.) Flag Raising Ceremony — will take place at Market Square for the official opening of Swift Current Pride Week 2017. Dignitaries including the Honourable Vaughn Solomon Schofield, Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan and His Worship Mayor Denis Perrault will be on hand with the Chinook School Division Gay-Straight Alliances and Southwest Saskatchewan Pride Board to mark this event. Takes place at the corner of Central Ave. and Chaplin St.).
• May 30 (6 p.m.) — Pride Coffee House
The Southwest Newcomers Welcome Centre (237 Central Ave N.) hosts a social to celebrate gender and sexual diversity from around the world.
• May 31 (7 p.m.) — Documentary Screening
Saskatchewan filmmaker Marjorie Beaucage shows and discusses her documentary, Coming In, about the lives of two spirit people in Saskatchewan. The film will be shown at Swift Current Library (411 Herbert St. East).
• June 1 (4 p.m. and 7 p.m.) — Sexual Health Talk
Hosted by the Chinook Division Gay-Straight Alliance, Dr. Michelle Jagga will provide two presentations discussing issues regarding sexual health for those in the LGBT community.
A presentation for youth at 4 p.m. and one for adults and parents at 7 p.m. Takes place at Fresh Start (214 Ave. N.E. Swift Current).
• June 2 (7 p.m) — Rainbow Mini Golf
Hosted by Chinook School Division’s Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) an evening of mini golf and ice cream.
• June 3 (11 a.m.-2 p.m.) — Family barbecue
There’s a family barbecue at Market Square with burgers, drinks and snacks available for purchase, sponsored by RBC Royal Bank. See the vendors and find out more about Southwest Saskatchewan Pride. There will be music, entertainment, and activities for children and celebrating diversity in the area.
• June 3 (noon) — Swift Current Pride March
Swift Current’s inaugural Pride March will start from Market Square. Come and celebrate the inclusive, colourful and diverse community.
• June 3 (8:30 p.m.) — Lyric Theatre’s All Ages Pride Dance
The Lyric Theatre hosts its annual Pride Dance at 8 p.m. Photo booth, drag performance and music will mark the finalé of Pride Week 2017.
Additional information and updates are available on the website at: www.southwestsaskpride.com.