Thursday, 18 May 2017 08:00

Chief Mountain border crossing re-opens for the season

Written by  Contributed
Rate this item
(0 votes)
The Chief Mountain border crossing is now open. The Chief Mountain border crossing is now open. Photo by CBSA 

The Chief Mountain port of entry re-opened for the season May 15.

Chief Mountain is located along Highway 6 in Alberta. Last season, more than 126,000 travellers entered Canada at Chief Mountain and Waterton Lakes National Park, and CBSA officers are preparing for another busy summer.
Chief Mountain hours of operation (Mountain Daylight Time):
• May 15-31 —  9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• June 1-Sept. 4 — 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Sept. 5-30 — 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Office of Field Operations (OFO) reminds travellers about recent changes to the Visa Waiver Program which were implemented April 1, 2016. 
As part of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Prevention Act of 2015, Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers entering the United States must have an e-Passport. Travelers from VWP countries are still eligible to travel to the United States without an e-Passport if they have a valid nonimmigrant visa. Travelers can apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-passports bear a unique, international e-Passport symbol on the cover. Additional information about VWP, Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), and e-Passports may be found in the Travel section on the website and at the State Department website.
CBP also offers travelers tips to help expedite processing at Chief Mountain.
Plan your trip to avoid peak travel times typically between the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Avoid processing delays by traveling with the required documents:
• Citizens of the United States or Canada should have required proof of citizenship documents ready upon arrival at the primary inspection booth.  You may present a valid passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s licence, a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST/ EXPRES), lawful permanent resident card, or current U.S. and Canadian tribal documents as your Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.
• Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries require an e-Passport or a passport and nonimmigrant visa.
• Citizens of non-VWP countries require a passport and non-immigrant visa.
• Traveling with minor children without both parents? A notarized travel permission letter should accompany minors when both parents are not present.
• Declare all of your purchases, merchandise acquired, and gifts received to the CBP officer, including fruits, vegetables, live animals, and meat products. Keep your receipts as proof of where the items were purchased. Failure to declare may result in penalties (fines) of $300 or more.
• Most U.S. or Canadian grown fruits and vegetables may enter the U.S. from Canada, except citrus, tomatoes, peppers, and home-grown potatoes, which are prohibited. Each vehicle may enter with up to 50 pounds of Canadian-origin beef, pork, or chicken for personal use only. Meats, fruits, or vegetables purchased in the U.S. prior to entering Canada are not restricted (keep your receipt and leave the labels on).
• Do not bring firewood. All firewood is prohibited unless accompanied by a heat treatment certificate. Travelers with prohibited firewood will be returned to Canada to dispose of firewood. Buy firewood where you burn it.
• Traveling with pets? Dogs that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the U.S.
• Any weapons or ammunition must be declared when leaving or entering the United States.
• You must also declare any currency in excess of $10,000 when leaving or entering the United States.
• Never attempt to cross the border outside of the established hours of operation.
• For additional questions, or clarification on the information listed above on entering the U.S., visit the Know Before You Go page in the Travel section at
• For information on entering Canada, visit or phone 1-800-461-9999.

Read 569 times

More Alberta News...